Skip to main content

Homemaker, Chore and Companion Services

Homemaker and Chore services take place in your home. These are not medical services, but personal services.

You might need a few hours of dusting and laundry. You may need someone to shop for you or fix your meals. You may use these services for shaving, combing hair, or cutting fingernails. You might like to take a walk. A homemaker could come to your home to assist with walking. Some chore services may also include yard work and minor repairs.

Companion services occur in your home, too. You may need company. You may need someone to drive you places. Companion services could include homemaker services, too.

What programs and services are available?

Many home care agencies offer these services. You can choose from for-profit or non-profit agencies. You may also hire private individuals. If you have long-term care insurance, your policy may pay for these services. Check your policy to be sure.

What costs are associated with homemaker and companion services?

Home care agencies charge an hourly or per visit rate. With the hourly rate, there may be a minimum number of hours.

If you have Medicaid, Medicaid may pay for companion services. Medicaid will only pay if you meet the criteria for placement in an intermediate-care facility.

How do I qualify?

Anyone may use their own money to buy these services. A doctor’s order is not required.

For Medicaid to pay for companion services, you must be eligible for Medicaid. Contact your local Department of Social Services with questions about eligibility and to request a screening to determine eligibility for homemaker and companion services. The screening can be requested by you, a family member, or a healthcare professional. Anyone who is concerned about you can ask for a screening.

If you have a developmental disability and use the Family and Individual Supports Waiver (FI) or Community Living Waiver (CL), Medicaid may pay for companion services. To find out about companion services under these waivers, contact your local Community Services Board (CSB).

If you do not qualify for Medicaid, call your local Department of Social Services to see if they can help you. You can find your local Department of Social Services by visiting VirginiaNavigator. In the 'What do you need?' box enter the words “Departments of Social Services” or "DSS" and your zip code, city or county.

If you are age 60 or older, your local Area Agency on Aging may be able to help you.

Where can I find out more?

Article Source
Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services
Source URL
Last Reviewed